Ms. Perales has lived and worked as a licensed attorney in New Mexico since 2015. Prior to joining the team at Serpe Andrews, Ms. Perales was a partner at Atwood, Malone, Turner & Sabin in Roswell, New Mexico from 2015-21. Ms. Perales’ practice covers all phases of healthcare liability and medical malpractice claims in defense of hospitals, physician, nurses, and other healthcare professionals. Ms. Perales has served as lead counsel in a broad range of cases including matters involving allegations of wrongful hospital discharge, emergency medicine, drug overdoses, orthopedic spine procedures, general surgery procedures, the treatment of patients with chronic illnesses, fetal injuries during labor and delivery, interventional radiology procedures, podiatric surgery, and sepsis. Ms. Perales has a track record of obtaining favorable outcomes for her clients including obtaining defense verdicts or settlements below the settlement demand. Ms. Perales has represented clients before the New Mexico Medical Review Commission, many New Mexico District Courts, the United States District Court in the District of New Mexico, and the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Ms. Perales began her career as a registered nurse in 1995 and spent 18 years caring for patients in a variety of medical specialty areas including critical care, mother-baby, orthopedics, rehabilitation, and home health. She spent the last few years of her nursing career working in the recovery room of a level I trauma center as a nationally Certified Post-Anesthesia Care Nurse. Ms. Perales lives in Santa Fe and enjoys spending time with her husband and two dogs, as well as visiting her children and two young grandchildren.
Areas of Practice
- Health Care Liability and Medical Malpractice
- Premise Liability
- Professional Negligence
- General Civil Litigation
- Texas Tech University School of Law, J.D., 2014 magna cum laude
- University of Texas at Arlington, B.S.N., 2011
- Tarrant County College, A.D.N., 1994
- State Bar of New Mexico
- State Bar of Texas
- United States District Court, District of New Mexico
- United States 10th Circuit Court of Appeals
Memberships and Associations
- American Bar Association
- Defense Research Association
- New Mexico Defense Lawyers Association, Board of Directors 2020-24
- State Bar of New Mexico Health Law Section, Board of Directors 2020-2024
- Registered Nurse, New Mexico
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a hospitalist, that was subsequently upheld by the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals, which held that the two-year statute of repose under the New Mexico Tort Claims Act time-barred the plaintiff’s claims against a publicly employed physician, who was also a qualified healthcare provider under the New Mexico Medical Malpractice Act Estate of Naegele v. Khawaja, 2021 WL 5575213 No. 2:19-CV-01165-GBW-SMV) (10th Cir. Nov. 30, 2021).
- Obtained summary judgment on claims by former inmates brought in federal district court based upon Eleventh Amendment immunity. Curry v. Gonzales, 2021 WL 4430264 No. CIV-20-01116 RB/SCY (D.N.M. Sept. 27, 2021).
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a medical group that was sued for vicarious liability related to a nurse practitioner illegally selling prescriptions to two plaintiffs. The district court held the wrongful conduct rule barred the plaintiffs’ claims. Inge v. Covenant Medical Group, 2018 WL 1322148 No. 17-CV-0221-SMV/CG (D.N.M. April 4, 2018).
- Co-authored Amici Curiae brief on behalf of Texas Medical Liability Trust and multiple Texas providers in support of a Texas physician who was sued in New Mexico after providing care in Texas: the New Mexico Supreme Court held that Texas law applied resulting in dismissal of the case Montano v. Frezza, 2017-NMSC-015, 393 P.3d 700
- New Mexico Defense Lawyer’s Association 2018 Annual Civil Rights Seminar: Panel Discussion Member Strategies for Successfully Defending Whistleblower Protection Act Claims
- Quincy J. Perales Practicing Medicine Across State Lines: Modern Healthcare and Choice of Law, Defense Research Institute Medlaw Update, Winter 2016, 4th